How to Square Your Quilt Backing
- Fold the backing fabric in half.
- Fold it in half again, the other direction. This finds the center of your backing.
- If there are very noticeably "extra" pieces/lengths, do not include then as part of your halving.
- Place the edge that needs squared (also the same edge that will have the zippers pinned on to) on your cutting side.
- Line up the fabric with the grid on your cutting mat to get a base line.
- Place your ruler on the grid and look through the uneven layers to see how far back you need to cut.
- ***Be aware of how much extra fabric you have before cutting. We don't want to cut too much off where it won't be enough extra needed for the longarm machine.
- Take your rotary cutter and cut the straight line.
- Your backing is now squared and ready for the zippers to be pinned on.